[pianotech] My Website

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Wed Jan 16 17:44:37 MST 2013

Yes, currently a user has to have the font installed on his/her computer in
order to see it in the font you specify. There ARE ways to work around
that, but it's not simple and straightforward. There are new (suggested?)
standards that will (maybe) allow special, non-"standard" fonts to display
in a user's browser even if the font is not installed on the device... i.e.
it will download the font from the server for the purpose of displaying
that page or website. But I don't think that's the norm. Yet.

The other, more convoluted work-around is a server-side script (e.g. PHP)
which converts the text on the page to a graphic, using the font, which is
installed on the server. Like I said, convoluted work-around. It also
increases server overhead and slows page-serving. Not that most of our
sites get the kind of traffic that a target.com get!

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN