[pianotech] Measuring Action Ratios

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jan 16 19:51:53 MST 2013

No, it doesn't make sense to me either but nothing is pivoting that I can
tell.  The balance rail pin, hole, punching, shoe are all conventional.
Everything is screwed down, the regulation is correct.  However, the action
conforms much more to a 5.87 than it does to a 5.2 and so I'm making
decision about weight based on 5.87.  So far, my tests confirm that number
is correct.

In actual practice I never rely on the key travel/hammer travel method for
actually making a decision about, say, a strike weight curve.  It's a nice
indicator but it's very easy to make a measurement error that can lead you
astray.  One-half mm error on the key dip, which can happen easily just
because of unlevel keys, can make a difference of .5 in the action ratio
(say from 5.2 to 5.7).  That's quite a bit.  So I prefer to confirm by more
conventional means where measurement error is less of a factor.  While I've
never seen the two numbers quite so far apart I do find measuring the three
levers more reliable and so I continue to use it.  This was more of an
observation that I can't really explain.  It's not really impacting my
decision making process.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com