[pianotech] Fwd: Bass string maker problem

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jan 17 17:44:52 MST 2013

I think all the custom makers generally try and do a good job and
accommodate.  If there's a problem it's usually an anomaly, though each has
their own scaling approach.  Arledge, JD Grandt, GC, and others all do good
work.  BTW John Delacour also makes excellent strings and does excellent
scale work as well.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

 The first time I used JD Grandt strings all 3 sets were unusable.  The
problem? Was a personnel shuffle and the current maker/winder had left and
the older Grandt who was struggling with his sight  was trying to do it all
on his own, I didn't know that till later. SO I said never again.  hmmm
  However, many year later David Love encouraged me to try them and we did
and as you'all have noticed ,the strings are top notch again. I can't say I
hear any  aural differences between the two makers
 I've used Arledge for 10 years. The strings sound very good, I get southern
hospitality and grace coupled with personal service and a can do attitude.
No squalling about replacing the
occasional string & no excuses for it. No pointing the finger at me as if I
did something to cause it,...as has happened with other makers.  They double
wrap all my mono chord sections on request with out the extra $48.00 charge
I get from J.D. grandt to do so.
 However Chip who I've dealt with for years at Arledge has left and Jim
Arledge is back in the saddle. I'm sure life will go on.
I'm just saying... Never say Never
Dale Erwin