[pianotech] Reducing tuning time (was Re: frustrated)

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Mon Jan 21 20:39:54 MST 2013

Will,

I glad you posted this.  Faced with a couple of challenging recalcitrant
poorly rendering grands in the last couple weeks, I came up with a
movement similar to what you describe...Lower the pitch by moving the
pin move the pin much more than I normally do, then slowly come up to,
but not over the pitch.  If  I overshot, do it all again, but coming
down was way too chancy and I avoided it except for tiny nudges south.
With these poorly rendering items, they just would not tolerate any
significant downward pin and pitch motion.

Didn't make sense to me at first, but the stability was greatly improved.

I'm a lefty, but I tune right handed mostly, and was doing this movement
right handed.

You describe what you think the pin is doing. In my experience, at least
on these recalcitrantly rendering ones, the front segment was also
highly involved. I say this, because previously, when I came from above,
lowering the pin to target, 10 minutes later, despite my normal rapid
fire mf key strikes followed by strong blows, the front segment slowly
gave way and continued dropping. Now maybe it dropped because the CCW
rotation of the pin to what seemed like the target, let the pin relax
back to neutral, slackening the front segment.   I guess if I were a
front segment hanging up on understring felt and other nasties, CW
motion of the pin would force me over the felt whether I liked it or
not, whereas CCW rotation of the pin would let me have my own ornery
recalitrant mind.

Does anyone know whether when the full pin, bottom & top,is in motion,
whether the bottom has caught up to the top, or whether, depending on
the block and block torque, the bottom is still dragging somewhat behind
the pin top as the pitch is raised?

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio