[pianotech] Reducing tuning time (was Re: frustrated)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jan 23 16:54:29 MST 2013

On 1/23/2013 5:28 PM, Dean May wrote:
> That isn't my experience. I may tap the pitch down if strings are
> rusty to break friction points, but I almost always do a steady pull
> to bring up, and very rarely break strings.

I agree, only I always tick them down enough to break the friction (just
enough to hear the pitch change) before pulling them up. The manner of
pulling them up is then irrelevant.

>If you pay attention, you
> can tell if the string is running out of elasticity and nearing the
> breaking point. If that happens, then resort to the bump methods, or
> just tune the piano a little flat to avoid breakage.

I disagree here. Once you feel the string ceasing to stretch, bumping
won't save it. If it's going to break, it will break whether you add
tension slowly or quickly.
Ron N