[pianotech] tuning grands left handed

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Thu Jan 24 14:05:37 MST 2013

Hi Jim:

I tune at somewhere between 10 and 12 oclock, depending on where the hammer
wants to sit on the head of the pin.

Let me rephrase my approach a little bit:  How flat I pull the string down
is dependent on how tight and flagpoley (is that a word?  :-)) the tuning
pin is.  The tighter it is, the flatter I pull it because you have that much
more twist on the pin that you want to unwind, and you need more space to do
it in.  If I don't pull it flat enough, then it will do just what you
describe and end up on the sharp side.

How much a pinblock or individual tuning pin needs is a matter of feel and
trial and error to find the sweet spot.

So give it another shot.  Just pull it flatter than you are presently doing
and play with the amount until it wants to smile at you.  Just do it, repeat
100,000 times as necessary and you will develop that feel for this method.

I do not think it is a matter of muscle strength.  After I have pulled the
pin flat, I immediately give the pin a healthy "shove" when I start pushing
it North, and then start slowing down the pin movement so that I can
approach the pitch point with control.  Once the pin is moving, it does not
take much strength to keep moving it.

As far as feedback, I can usually tell when the pin is not exactly set
before the test blow confirms it.  If the pin is close but not there, it is
often quicker to just pull it flat again and push to the pitch point rather
than futzing around.

I feel like I can feel when the front segment (or other binding points) are
letting go.  And I usually know by feel when I have not moved the pin flat
enough even before my ears confirm it.  I can feel when I have not done the
job right and there is residual bend in the pin, and the movement of the pin
in the block when the pin is not twisted on its axis is distinctive also.
Does that answer your question?

Will