[pianotech] How to remove scratches

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 19:37:48 MST 2013

Gregor,
It is strange that the German Konig site does not advertise Special
French Polish. I checked my bottle and it is imported. The phone
number in Europe is +49 (0) 61 01 - 53 60 0.

You should be able to get the Special French Polish in Europe. The
method is much simpler than traditional French Polish as a lubricant
is included in the shellac so that it is only one step. Make a pad
with a ball of wool or gauze and wrap it very tightly with a 20 cm
square of well washed old Tee shirt that is stretchy. I use a golf
ball sized pad or smaller. There should be no creases or folds in the
application surface. On a new pad, first open the cover cloth and wet
the gauze well with Konig French polish but not so that it will drip
when squeezed hard. Put the cover back on and put about 10 more drops
on the stretched surface of the pad. The pad should be just damp
enough so that when you tap it on the back of your hand, it is just
damp.  Keep it stretched by twisting the remaining cloth on the back
of the pad and hold onto the twisted part. Practice on a scrap piece
of a  finished piece of wood like an upright piano top or key cover or
other furniture piece. It should be at least 20 cm square.  Start by
coming down on the wood from a low angle without stopping- Like
landing and airplane.  The application should be in a circular motion
that is fairly rapid. You can make overlapping circles and move around
until the whole piece is finished. The pad will leave a slight trail
on the finished area. This is drying shellac that should be drying
almost instantly. You will have to replenish the pad with about 10
drops of polish every few minutes. Watch for the trail of drying
shellac. When it does not leave a trail, replenish. You can work a
piece with several applications on the same area before it starts to
get a bit sticky. This may take up to 30 minutes of polishing. You may
be done before that happens.  If it gets sticky, let it dry for about
30 minutes and resume polishing.  When you have polished it
sufficiently, take some long swipes with the grain to remove any swirl
marks. These should be minimal. Let it dry and you are done. It can be
waxed or not the next day.  This is a very brief description. I have a
video but have not put it on the web yet for lack of time and
knowledge of the process to post it. It is on my to do list.

 I am sorry that there is not one on the web. I have looked and have
not found a decent one.  Konig does sell a rather good video on this
and other techniques that is well worth buying. It also tells how to
do scratch and dent repair with Konig hard wax and retouching with
their markers and other techniques. I have been doing this kind of
work for years and learned some good techniques from their video. Good
luck. Be sure to practice on one or two pieces first. It does not take
long to learn, even on your own.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
www.classicpianodoc.com