[pianotech] tuning grands left handed

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Mon Jan 28 06:30:27 MST 2013

Hi Jim:

I haven't been near my computer since Friday afternoon to get your post.
I'm really pleased with your success.  Keep playing with it!

As far as false beats, yes, it is really helpful as far as cutting to the
chase on the best compromise possible (even saying that much is overthinking
it!).  If you are moving towards the pitch point with sufficient discipline
and control you will hear the octave or unison "drop in place" in maybe 1/3
of a second.  Listening to the note any longer doesn't make your accuracy
any better, and allows the false beats to confuse and distract you, to no
greater gain.

When I was in grad school I had a part time job working construction
building a house.  There was a stone mason there who was about 60 and
probably weighed 125 pounds soaking wet.  It was a thing of beauty to watch
him work.  His movement patterns were utterly pared down to the essential.
I could watch him pick up some pretty heavy stones and drop them in place on
the wall he was building, and virtually never have to reset them, or remove
them and replace them with another.  Made it look like the simplest thing.
For him, (quite literally) it was the simplest thing.

Will