[pianotech] Fixing flexy stage dolly

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Jan 28 19:27:37 MST 2013

I dealt with a similar problem in a much more shirtsleeves manner.

The big wheels on a Baldwin SD-10 truck, rendered non-round by too many
years of jamming across thresholds, had been replaced with whatever
could be
found in the coastal town where it lives. They were balky, too big, and
squishy, the brakes didn't work, and the piano would "walk" during playing,
(as well as shimmying like my sister Kate) plus the piano was very hard
to roll around, totally having a mind of its own -- a very heavy mind.
Well, it still does. <sigh> Plus the lady teachers doing far too much of
the moving are getting old and some of them frail.

What I did was to put a piece of card next to each square cup holding a
leg and scribe
a line to record the height and angle of the cup, which was not parallel
to the
stage floor. Then I took scraps of pinblock material, cut them into
wedges at
the appropriate heights and angles, and covered the two long sides with
thick
shoe leather, glued on with a thick layer of carpneter's glue. Trimmed
flush,
it looked neat enough. I made them long enough to have some length on
both the low
and high sides of the cups in use, so they were easy to kick back out
again.

I also scribed the name ("right", "left" and "tail") into the wood with
a dremel tool, then painted the wood flat black. I added
a small rubber mallet to the getup, and I put the hooked side of velcro
tape onto the truck struts near each cup, with the fluffy tapes on the
wedges,
on the side without writing.

The players would position the piano (with a lot of effort), then kick
the wedges under the leg cups, maybe pounding with the rubber mallet.

They would also shred the leather by ignoring the placement of the screws
protruding through the cups, despite my beautiful ink drawing showing
them how to miss them, and they'd almost always trade the wedges
around, so that they got used on the legs where they didn't fit -- the
heights and angles were different for all three. Sometimes the wedges
would walk to strange places because they didn't notice the velcro waiting
for them. Just slap the wedge onto its velcro on the truck, ready for
the next use. It seemed simple enough to me ...

Year after year, I would trade them back, glue down the shredded leather,
find the missing mallet, etc.

Of course, I should just have bought them the right wheels, which I finally
did, only to have them ignored instead of installed.

I must say that the wedge idea works just fine to stabilize the piano, and
probably even improves the acoustics by putting something solid between
the floor and the legs. And they are easy enough to make.

It would have been easier if the screws into the bottom of the legs hadn't
been protruding beneath the cups. The wedges still had plenty of room to
do their job if inserted along the edges of the square cups, but people
wouldn't notice that.

Still, they more or less worked for many years, and they didn't look bad,
and they certainly were inexpensive. The piano was very stable with them
in, solid as a rock, and they were easy to kick back out again afterwards.

Susan Kline
(Newport Arts Center)