[pianotech] Fixing flexy stage dolly

Norman Cantrell normancantrell at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 28 20:23:44 MST 2013

Mark
I have had good luck over the years dealing with trucks without brakes by simply positioning the piano on the stage and then kicking each of the three casters in the same direction as each of the three arms of the truck.  Position them so the wheel is swiveled toward the center of the dolly and because they are all facing a different direction the piano stays put.
Joe I do not have a picture of the unit installed and I am no longer on contract with the particular university where I installed this unit.  It is still on the piano as I occasionally attend performances there.  Because it is painted black and made of fairly thin pipe it fades into the background fairly easily and is not a distraction.  The reason for designing it in the first place was to help the truck roll easily as the casters were so canted they did not swivel easily and the piano was very difficult to steer and turn.
Norman Cantrell