[pianotech] Totally glueless

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Mon Jan 28 20:43:42 MST 2013

Susan writes:
>>As the saying goes, one can never be too thin, too rich, or have
toomany clamps.

I suppose if the screws are good enough, the piano could survive
mostsituations without glue on
the bass bridge. <<

    I wondered about that.  There are only two screws, though, and
they,being in the middle of the bridges foot, had some serious leverage
against them.  The bigger question I thought of was of transmission of
sound through this joint. Since it was as floppy loose as it was, the
bridge was considerably lower than it is now,  this might make a pretty
fair difference. I think it probable that the bearing will be
considerably increased, which may be good, since I have a set of
strings with the french loops, and I didn't consider the loss of angle
that the hitch's barrel will cause, even with the stringing felt
removed.  Seemed like a good idea at the time....
Regards,

 Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html

-