[pianotech] loose hammers

Norman Cantrell normancantrell at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 28 20:53:03 MST 2013

Marshall
Steinway used this type of hammer butt with both butt plates and without over the years.  Basically you look for the shinny metal plate and if it is present and you have wobbling hammers that tightening the flange screws does not fix then tightening the butt plates often helps.  There are some old German actions with this same design and Yamaha also used it on some of their vertical pianos.
Tuning a 1098 (45 is stamped on the plate) is a challenge for the following reasons.  The tuning pins have no plate bushings and the tuning pins are longer than they have to be.  Steinway addressed the pin length in a re-design somewhere around 2000-2002 (not exactly sure and there is always a transition period when things like plates in stock still get used in production).  Strings also are hard to render in pre-update models due to a felt covered rise in the casting that the strings pass over on the way to the pressure bar.
Things you can do to overcome the design issues includeDevelop very good tuning hammer technique that can get the string moved and the pin relaxed.Put a little Protek CLP on the red felt to help the strings to drag less on the felt surface (DO NOT GET PROTEK ON THE TUNING PIN FIELD!)Remove the action and seat the treble strings on the bridge on both sides by pressing them down on the bridge with a brass tool (Schaff sells a false beat eliminator that can be used for this purpose)Check the bridge pins to make sure that they are in line and you have equal termination points for the length of each string.  I have bent a bridge pin or two in my day to correct this problem.If you are pulling this piano up to pitch be careful how much overpull you use.  This model does not stretch back like most.  If you overshoot you will have to bring it back down in pitch which they do not like to do and will creep back up on you. (DAMHIK)This is a model which I can
 recommend using an electronic tuning device of your choice just to monitor the pitch drift while you are pulling the unisons in.
Good luck
Norman Cantrell