[pianotech] How to remove scratches

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 07:58:49 MST 2013

Michael,
Shellacs vary A GREAT DEAL.  The regular bulleye shellac is not
dewaxed and is cloudy in the can. It does not harden as hard as
dewaxed and is a bit slower drying. There is also an amber (used to be
called orange) that is similar. Those are 3 lbs shellac flakes per
gallon (called 3 lb). There is also Bullseye Sealcoat that is dewaxed
and is a 2 lb cut. The spray cans are blond shellac that is also
dewaxed , probably most like the Sealcoat.

Then there is shellac flakes that come in a range of colors from super
blond to garnet (redish brown). These have to be dissolved in alcohol
before use.

The Konig is "special" because they have formulated it for French
polishing and included a lubricant so an oil does not have to be added
to the pad to prevent sticking of the pad to the finish. With
traditional French polishing I use olive or raw linseed oil on the
pad. I have French polished with all of the above mentioned shellacs
including waxed ones. It can be done, but it is much more difficult
than the Konig product. I don't recommend it unless you are
experienced.  Also, a fine super high polish is harder to achieve
without the Konig formulation. I have tried. Mohawk also makes a
French polish that is supposed to be similar in that it does not need
a lubricant. It works, but in my hands is not much better than doing
the traditional French polishing with oil. I could not get a very high
polish with it that did not need a final waxing.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc

Message: 4