[pianotech] Grand piano jack stands

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jan 30 05:36:39 MST 2013

On 1/29/2013 11:41 PM, Rob McCall wrote:

> So, I am tasked with repairing this and making it right. Here's where
>  the other topic kicked around in my mind.  I know that Ron N.
> provided a link to some house holding jack stands. I'm wondering
> about the veracity of getting 3 of these, use my jack in the box to
> lift up each side, remove the leg and install a jack stand.  Then I
> can plug the lag bolt holes, redrill and reattach each leg properly.

No, please don't. Those jack posts are intended to be used where the
ceiling or floor joists won't move laterally. The piano will. If you
welded a solid enough base on, they would work fine. A better choice
would be some common and fairly cheap auto jack stands. Mine have held
up far more pianos than cars through the years.

Ron N