[pianotech] FW: Re: Fwd: Steinert grand

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 31 15:07:55 MST 2013

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I
http://gpianoworks.com/

----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph Garrett
To: Mark Schecter
Sent: 1/31/2013 2:07:18 PM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Fwd: Steinert grand

Mark,
I'm glad you asked that question!<G> Let me answer with a question: How olde is the wood and glue joints we are working with? Right. And, do you think that "just" screws is going to solve the problem, in the future? I think not. IF, another flange decides to come loose, AND you have already put a screw in it, does that solve the problem of the expansion/contraction of the wood that is causing the glue joint to come apart in the first place. Plus, because those screws are verticle it's going to take a really thin offset screw driver to tighten it! (being the C.of the T.P., I can tell you there is no such tool available.<G>) If the "optional" stuff is to offset the main problems with the original design. Or, to make it less bad, at least. Since I have done several of these, I know, from experience, that there is little or no "potential problems", with taking them loose from the rail, (ungluing). The added "upgrade" is the sandpaper to keep them from moving, even if the screw loosens, due to wood expansion/contraction.
Of course, the best fix is to install a new back action with the screws accessible and on a horizontal plane. But, then the customer incurs a far greater cost. I hope you get it now.<G> Of course, your mind-set will win out.<G>
Regards,
Joe