[pianotech] Totally glueless

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 17:06:47 MST 2013

Please allow me to point out, Kind Sirs, that the function of simple tuning fork exhibits those traits of energetic transmission/transmutation that some members of this list seem to discount as fantasy: specifically, that when the ball at the end of a tuning fork stem is simply, gently pressed (with no solid mechanical coupling) against some object (and with the briefest of all possible contact points) energy is transmitted from the laterally oscillating tines well ABOVE that point TO that object; which then transmits them to the the surrounding air, resulting in sound of a louder volume than the tines alone impinging on the air create. And that this phenomenon will transpire even if the object thus pressed against is a distinctly non-diaphragmatic -- as we normally conceive it -- one, such as a cube. I thus find it implausible that such an easily observed phenomenon would not find expression in a structure as large, solid, and rife with vibratory
 excitement as that which a piano presents.

Regards,
     Thumpe