[pianotech] Fwd: Steinert grand

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 31 19:55:04 MST 2013

Ah, comeon Mark,
The issue was/is the glue joint(s) are failing in the existing system. If
that occurs, even with a screw inserted, the natural expansion and
contraction of the wood flange and the rail will make the screw be loose.
It's why, we are constantly tightening flange screws! The damper
underlever(s) take a pretty good wallop with each key stroke, imo. Hence,
the "wallops" are going to exacerbate the integrity of the glue joints,
(which are becoming compromised), making the possibility of the next tech
having to chase down a "buzz" caused by that screw and/or the underlever
flange.
It almost strikes me that your are arguing just to get me to respond to
what you already know.
Joe

still glued and now is also screwed to the rail, is going to be able to
decide to come loose? Seems like a screw alone is enough for any other
flange in the action. How many glued and screwed flanges have you had come
loose?