[pianotech] Fwd: Chico womens club Steinway event

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Mar 2 18:13:18 MST 2013

 Colleagues
 Every now and then we get to restore a piano for venerable civic group and historic occasions. In this case , the Chico womens club is both. They are celebrating there 100th anniverserary with the restoration of there 1911 Steinway B and with a silent film festival. The piano will be showcased by the pianist who specializes in the old silent movie theater piano music.
The Steinway is 2 years older than the womens club.It was pretty much a train wreck. The lid had been damaged in a fire at the club eons ago, and then re-veneered badly. So, new lid.
 Everything else in similar condition. New set of legs as well.

 The details and pictures I sent are posted on there included web site. I thought this was quite creative of them.
http://chicowomensclub.wix.com/chicowomensclub

  If interested in the rebuilding details read on.... if not....please skip.
 The piano has the older 14 rib scale which I prefer to the 13 rib model. We added a straight cut-off bar,treble belly brace, removed the ring bridge connector/tone killer. Built a rib crowned board with the usual mad in house Sitka spruce panel. I had some really beautiful tight grain Grown in Calif. sugar pine ribs. (20grains per inch)....really hard to find. Added double wrapped bass mono-chords and 3 unisons of Bi-chords on the first 3 notes of the tenor section.
A set of Ronsen Weickert felt hammers (no juice or needles required) attached to a custom balanced action resulted in a piano that speaks very, very well, with big robust voice with clarity and presence. 5.5 action ratio. All in all all the Erwins are very pleased with this outcome.

 We deliver it Friday night to the womens club the 8th for the opening silent films event. Saturday is a champagne brunch and some kind of a multimedia interview of the Erwin crew. HEy free publicity is alwasy welcome. Its all good & we get hear our newest makeover in concert so to speak, laughing all the while at  Laurel & Hardy films and Charlie Chaplin films. Life is good.
 Dale

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.
Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S. pianos