[pianotech] Mailman list shutdown plan

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Sun Mar 3 17:49:03 MST 2013

Hello Subscribers of pianotech at ptg.org and caut at ptg.org,

When I received admin responsibilities for the PTG server, I knew it was
likely I would be the one to shut down the Mailman lists, I just didn't
know when. But now I do, so it is time to let everyone how this will
happen. Here are my plans:

   - I will send an email to the list sometime the last week of the list's
   operation, the week of March 25th in case there are still people who
   haven't been following the situation. It will warn about the shutdown, and
   give a list of options and instructions.

   - On March 31, around 11 PM CDT, I'll send out a last warning message.

   - On April 1, sometime after 12:01 AM CDT, the Mailman services will
   stop, and the archives will be complete.

   - For PTG home office staff, and certain people with ptg.org email
   addresses, email traffic may still be processed through this server, or a
   newer hosted service. This depends on the progress of the migration plans
   for home office staff email.

   - The Apache web server will remain running, so the archives will still
   be accessible at their current address:
   https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/

   - It is possible that the PTG migration plans will affect the
   accessibility of the server by its name. If this happens, you will still be
   able to access the archives here:
   http://67.23.25.164/pipermail/pianotech.php/

   - I will be working with HL engineers in the weeks that follow to
   transfer the archives to my.ptg.org, where they will be hosted in the HL
   environment. This will be happening for CAUT as well.

   - When the cumulative archive files are available for download, I will
   post a message to the appropriate HL Communities and the pianotech Google
   Group. These archive files will contain exactly the same content as the
   per-month .gz files that are currently available, just in fewer files.

   - I have backed up various PTG-specific files from the Linux server,
   contact me if there is a particular need for them.

   - When the archive transfer is complete and is publicly accessible
   through the HL Community, the Apache web server will be shut down. I will
   post a message at that time to the Google Group on how they may be
   accessed. To the people active on the HL Communities, presence of the
   archives should be obvious.

   - At this point, the Linux server may be decommissioned at the PTG's
   convenience.

If you have concerns on any of the above points, please post to the list
for discussion, or email me. I will probably send this email again next
week.

Regards,

Jim Moy
jim at moypiano.com