[pianotech] Size of Pinblock Drill bit?

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 14:52:06 MST 2013

Mike,
I have been off this site and gone over to Google so this might be a
little late. Instead of a nubbed bit as you describe (and I am still
not sure what it is) I suggest chucking your bit in a hand drill and
with the drill running, run it at a slight angle from parallel against
the side of a grinding wheel that is running. The result is tapering
the tip and perhaps an inch of the drill  bit to a smaller size. That
can be used two ways. It allows the bit to enter a smaller hole
without chatter and guides the bit in just like the taper on a tap for
threading.  In the more extreme, the bit can be ground to nearly a
point that replicates the profile of a wood screw and makes a perfect
pilot hole for a wood screw without using one of those wobbly flat
bits to drill wood screw holes at a taper. Try it, you will love it.

Douglas Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY

Message: 1