[pianotech] Key Leveling Time

Al Guecia/Allied PianoCraft alliedpianocraft at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 8 09:24:47 MST 2013

On Mar 8, 2013, at 9:40 AM, Terry Farrell <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

"G" Piano Works Repair Labor Guide states that "Keys: Level & set dip after replacing tops, set" should take 1.5 hours on a grand and 1 hour on an upright.

I've never leveled a poorly leveled set of keys in that time frame. I know I always take longer than others on most tasks, but it takes me a good four hours to level a set of keys that weren't WAY out of whack (worst keys about 0.030" off). Does "after replacing keytops" mean that there is an assumption that the keys were level before keytop replacement and all key heights will be adjusted by the exact same amount - and hence the short task time?

Or am I just WAAAAAYYYYYYY slower than anyone else at leveling keys?

And why the difference in time between a grand and an upright? Just the time to remove/replace the action stack?

Thanks.

Terry Farrell

I don't do many uprights, but I'm with you on the time. Takes me a half a day, morning or afternoon.

Al -
High Point, NC