[pianotech] Expanding leads

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Mar 12 16:02:46 MDT 2013

Wim:

Yes, there does seem to be a humidity factor and I was wondering about how
that might trigger a bad batch of lead.  At least the ones I've encountered
did have exposure to high humidity, this one included.  My concern with just
trimming them is that others that I've seen have expanded such that the keys
were splitting.  If that happens on this piano with ivory on it , or in the
underlevers then the cost of repair could skyrocket.  We will opt to replace
everything and reweigh the keyset at the same go.  Of course, the value of
the piano, in this case, does warrant it.

Aloha.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com