[pianotech] Expanding Leads

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Mar 12 17:27:05 MDT 2013

So, there has to be
something in certain types of lead that promote the expanding thing. Seems
we need someone with a whole lot more chemistry knowledge than me. Greg?
Any thoughts?
Best,
Joe

Joe

This is where the mystery lies. As I stated, on the same piano, some leads will be corroded, and some not. Very mysterious.

I do agree that the salt air probably contributes to the problem, and while we have a lot of salt air near the ocean, we live 10 miles inland, and it's not evident in our house. Yet, I've seen pianos in my neighborhood with this problem. (But then they might have been brought here from a house close to the beach).

Yes, we need someone with a lot more knowledge on this subject to chime in.

Wim