[pianotech] some questions

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 12 20:21:44 MDT 2013

HI who ever is left on this list. :-)  I'm still not sure how the google one works. I sent this blank e-mail to an e-mail address someone here gave me, but I'm not getting any posts from that google  list.  Am I missing something?

Also, today I encoutered a roughly 50yr old Story & Clark console. This groupon customer purchased it at a thrift store.   Now normally I'll just pull the pitch sharp to a point and let it fall into place, but today I  was concerned since it was so far out.  So I thought I'd bring it up gradually.  I've heard that this can work as well, and I've done it in the past.  However I had to tune the treble three times the bass at least three and the temparement twice and unisons a couple of times and it started drifting again.  It stayed for the most part but I'm curious as to what the problem might be because I've heard that you can bring up a p iano up gradually although it can cause it to be more unstable according to my instructors at the school.  Even though I learned how to do it by bringing it up in one pass and then fine tuning it.  I'm thinking it might just need more tuning and time to gain stability since I know it was over 30 years since it was tuned according to the date the customer and I found in the piano 1975 or 78.  Also, there is this greasy substance on all the tuning pins, and the pin torque doesn't feel tight but not so loose either, but can that grease be affecting the pins thus causing the instability?  I didn't see any cracks on the bridges pin block and back seem OK. I do recall the pins in the bass feeking mushy. homm how can I explain this?  They pull up and  hold but don't hesitate to fall if I tap the handle of the lever.  It's like their tight but feel spongey in places down there. the grease is all over th epins. my fingers were black when I finished. I hope I didn't make a mess in their powderroom sink when I washed my hands lol .  So what are your thoughts?
Marshall

Marshall Gisondi
MARSHALL'S PIANO SERVICE
215-510-9400