[pianotech] decal troubles and Target

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Wed Mar 20 17:31:53 MDT 2013

For anyone who uses Target water based lacquers.

I purchased a side decal from Steinway for a D with matt ebony finish.

Installed it per Steinway directions using clear Target EC6000.

I assume that the letters and logo were brass.

After the first coat the letters immediately discolored. I thought it may be
oxidation.

After working with it, I think more than likely the Target reacted with some
sort of paint that Steinway coated their brass decal with??

The reason I say paint is that it originally looked more gold, not really
brass.

Why would Steinway paint a brass decal with gold paint.

After 4 or 5 light coats of clear Target set up, whatever it was, brass
oxidation or a chemical reaction to the Steinway paint, it sanded off easily
to expose a nice brass finish. Has anyone else run into something like this?

Gene