[pianotech] Fwd: Heintzman grand

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Mar 20 21:01:05 MDT 2013

On 3/20/2013 9:29 AM, John Ross wrote:

> Is this just cosmetic, or as I suspect the reason for the piano being
> off so much pitch wise.
> What is the fix recommended.

I rebuilt a Kimball some time back, with similar problems. The case
veneer looked like a mahogany burl to me. She wanted it rebuilt, and
didn't care about the finish, so that meant no screw head cover patches
showing outside. I bought some plastic resin glue, because the color was
pretty close to that of the veneer, and I could use it as a sort of hard
cure filler as well as a glue. I don't typically use it for anything,
but it's pretty good stuff if you've never tried it. After tear down, I
glued the front separations, clamped and put about 30 drywall screws (a
lot anyway) through the inside rim and into the outside, just short of
going through. There were separations between inner and outer rims in a
lot of places underneath, so I flipped it over, glued, clamped, and
added another three pounds of screws around the inside. I spent at least
a couple of days just putting the case back together and making the
beams and legs solid again. I even added bracing, and ended up with
something I thought was quite sturdy. The brown glue disguised the
veneer damage better than I'd hoped, for a hack job, and the rebuild
went well. I tuned it without incident for a couple of years after that
until I was down the day of the next appointment with a long term sinus
curse, and she was put out and got someone else rather than reschedule.

I didn't have a digital camera at the time, so no photos.

Bottom line, I don't think I'd have done it without the rebuild.
Ron N