[pianotech] Farewell Old Friend

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun Mar 31 19:06:22 MDT 2013

Jon mentioned reinvention in his poem -- this seems a good
time to share my plan for my own list reinvention.

I'm going to googletech -- eventually. But first I have
some projects to complete.

1. get into the archive and read the whole list from the
time it started till the time I joined (Jan. 1997.) Save
the best of it in word processor files, which can easily
be moved to different computers on a thumb drive.

and,
2. Open up three old computers, still working but long
retired, all of which have some sorted pianotech emails
and a huge volume of unsorted pianotech emails. Save the
best and add them to the word processor files from 1.

Empty the computers, but save them -- they are old. They will
work so long as they never are allowed within several miles
of the Internet, so that they cannot "phone home" and wreck
their nice old simple functional software, the kind modern
computers carefully refuse even to load. (Has anyone noticed
what seems to me to be a tendency for modern software to be
closer to a leasing rather than a purchasing in perpetuity
experience? They've figured ways to keep us buying.)

I still even have the physical media for the old programs.
I can use them for basic business, writing, and amusement
and they will work just as well as when they were the
latest thing.

So -- see you guys later on, googling away. I hope, in fact,
to see a few old faces who haven't been on the ptg pianotech
for years. Well, one can wish ...

There was life and there was piano technology before pianotech --
and then there was life and piano technology after pianotech,
three times richer, ten times larger. The only drawback I see
has been sitting too long and gardening too little. Maybe a
little determination can sort that out.

Best to all --
Susan