loose pinning in Renner butterfly springs

Thu May 7 10:11 MDT 1998

Del,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Without waxing entirely too obnoxious, I've seen
way too many actions butchered in your choice of
methods, often with work _very_ nicely done by
well-intentioned technicians, trying to overcome this
mass issue by attacking (literally) everything else.

Last time I bothered to measure, a Renner S&S whip
was roughly 3.5-5 gms heavier than it's more poorly
executed, but made from maple NY counterpart.

Others know those numbers and things a great deal
better than I do, but this simply isn't rocket science, it's
either good basic piano work, or it's not.

In other news:

Del, please put me on the list for a catalog of your new
line of piano products and services.  I expect something
of at least the quality of the Fazioli presentations.  You know,
four colour separations, 45# varnished stock, rotogravuere,
etc.

While I am sure that there is a veritable multitude of possibilities
for this kind of thing, the only (modest) proposal I have is for
precision pre-cut, tumbled, polished, gold-plated centerpins.
For the truly discriminating technician, these could be used with
the surgical steel, rhodium-plated, Swiss made, double-compound
lever center pin plier and matching cutting and burnishing
tools (for that _very_ special instrument).  Given the cost of
what passes for tools these days (where _is_ Hale when we
need them? Old Hale, that is.), the centerpins should go for
about $0.50 per, and the pliers a cool grand.

Good Morning to All!

(Yes, the caffeine is starting to kick in...)

Best.

Horace

At 08:43 AM 5/7/1998 -0700, you wrote:

>Horace Greeley wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> Probably just about everyone who has used any of these
>> parts has this problem, potentially.
>>
>> For all of it's highly touted superiority, hornbeam, as used
>> in (most) piano parts these days, has some (to me, anyway)
>> serious drawbacks, the two worst offendors being mass
>> and porosity.
>
>I'm relieved to find that there is at least one other human out there who
does not share
>Renner's high -- at least in public -- opinion of hornbeam. There will be
more in time.
>For all of its faults, give me maple any day.
>
>-- ddf

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT

Systems Analyst/Engineer
Controller's Office