Teaching University Techs

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Mon Nov 9 12:19 MST 1998

>Dear Colleagues,
>
>My School has asked me to teach a piano tech appreciation course, mostly
>for pianists; however, they are having to create a special classification
>for me since my basic job description is for technical work and for
>supervision.
>
>Are there other university techs out there who also teach either an
>appreciation or skills course, who would not mind responding to a call from
>our executive assistant about your title, salary range, etc.?
>
>Feel free to post me privately if you are willing to help.
>
>Gratefully,
>
>Charles
>

>Charles Ball, RPT
>School of Music
>University of Texas at Austin
>ckball@mail.utexas.edu

charles,

i have tried to teach a similar course in the past but it was not very
sucsessful.  there was a lot of interest but it was an elective and
everyone was too busy to include it in their schedule.  the other bad news
is that i did it for free.  the course was registered under a faculty
member's name as the instructor of record but then i taught the class.

what i am doing now is having one student hired as my assistant for the
entire school year.  sort of a work study program.  that is working really
well for me though i am still interested in looking into a class again in
the future.  i will be interested in reading other responses to your
question.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429