Objective keydip measuring

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Tue Nov 17 23:00 MST 1998

Okay, folks! Enough of the congeniality! In the words of Mae West (no
relation to Richard,
I'm told), "Fasten your seatbelts. It's gonna be a bumpy ride." Or words
to that effect.

Horace Greeley wrote:

> At 10:56 PM 11/16/98 -0500, you [Ed Foote] wrote:
> [snip]

> > ( I know that under rapid pianissimo playing, the front rail
> >felts are often not touched, as the keystroke is not carried all the way to
> >the bottom.  I have measured this).  This way of setting keydip also takes any
> >inconsistancy in keylevel out of the equation.

Often? How often? How the heck did you measure the keystroke in "rapid
pianissimo
playing??" You got some fancy computer sensor gadget on the keyframe?
Suggesting that the
keys don't contact the keypunching sounds like suggesting that, if you
run quickly and
quietly, your feet don't touch the ground! Forgive me for being
skeptical, but I am.

Also, being an "accomplished pianist" (I'm B.Mus.-ed and started
M.Mus.-ing, but got bored and went into tech), I *do* notice slight
differences in keydip and....*and*.....keyboards with anemic aftertouch
feel significantly different from those with ample aftertouch. I've
discovered that complaints about heavy-playing keyboards sometimes are
the result of insufficient aftertouch. Of course, if you're increasing
aftertouch, you may also be increasing keydip.....
--
Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician