Temperaments (nonflammable)

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed Nov 18 10:16 MST 1998

Hi Ron:

You could start the Faust type temperament by doing it similar to the
Baldassin-Sanderson first 7 steps: A4, A3, A2, F3, F4, C#4, and C#3.

>From there you could do the routine - down a 5th, up a 3rd, up a 3rd, down
a 5th, up a 3rd, up a 3rd, down a 5th, up a 3rd, up a 3rd. You can start
this last part of the procedure at any of the first 7 step series depending
upon what size piano you are tuning. The weakness of the original Faust
system was that no additional checks were used. If you used additional
checks such as minor 3rds, 4ths and 6ths as they become available, this is
a very nice system.

Here is a list of the tuning order for the second part of the procedure is
you were to use the F3 to F4 portion as your main temperament octave:
C#4, F#3, A#3, D4, G3, B3, D#4, G#3, C4, E4. The final check would be E4
to A3.

The above is quite similar to the John Travis temperament.

Jim Coleman, Sr.