your mail

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Thu Nov 19 06:38 MST 1998

Steve,
I'm the new guy here at the University, so I haven't had much time to
really pull the piano apart and see what's in there.  The previous tech
never messed with it.  Someone has restrung it with new pins and there are
relatively new hammers in there, and appears to have had the old ivories
replaced with newer ivory.  It does have some sort of double escapement
(again, I haven't pulled the action so I can't describe it, but hammers are
mounted so that the flange is towards player).  Straight strung w/ each
string individually tied at the hitch pins, the bass and tenor sections
have agraffes mounted into an extended portion of the pin block (wouldn't
that be an interesting addition to the recent discussions of broken
agraffes!  Lord, PLEASE, no!).  Pin block is angled down so that you have
to tune either left-handed or with hammer back towards you in the treble.
It does have an iron plate.  I recently was asked to tune it for a 5 minute
recital for the donors, so I brought the treble up to the bass (around
C440, which the donors had no clue about but the prof playing it sure did).
It's in the library so I'm not really able to spend any time with it.
Suits me, really.  I've got 129 other pianos which get used that I need to
be working with and limited time.  They're just interested in knowing a
little about what they've been given.  Serial #3244 or at least that's the
number stamped on the soundboard emblem.
Dealing with the older instruments is a new thing for me, so I guess other
than what I've described, that's all I would know to tell you.  Thanks for
helping!

Jeff