SD6 aliquot bar

Fri Nov 20 09:26 MST 1998

Herr Torella,
At 10:54 11/20/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Bummer. I think you're going to have to resort to removing a few lag
screws to find that little bugger. If there's enough room between the plate
and rim, you *may* be able to lift the plate and give it a little bit of a
right turn to lift the strings off of the bridgepins....no, wait!  I guess
that might not be such a good idea. :-)

Real bad...  The bass strut has always worried me, and torquing the plate
could be disastrous.  The bass strut bows toward the rim >1/2".  I've been
expecting to find it imploded for the last 17 years, but the damned thing
is about the most stable  instrument on campus.

>How about a restring? It probably needs one, anyhow.

Probably true, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it- right? Very powerful
instrument.  Besides, if I restring it, I'll probably wind up losing more
of those suckers. Maybe I'll just make a replacement out of a chunk of
grenadillo.

I'll get a crew to upend it next week before they leave for turkey day.

Conrad Hoffsommer - hoffsoco@luther.edu

         Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) of
   Biopowered Digitally Activated Tone Generation Systems
"If you have to plug it in, or you can't watch how it works,
                I don't work on it."