CAUT in Kansas 99 (Steinway "Guidelines for Institutional Piano Service")

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Fri Nov 20 18:08 MST 1998

Dear Paul and list,

The Guidelines would be a great topic of discussion!

I recently had a chance to hear Gary Green of Steinway present a program on
Steinway's new "Guidelines for Institutional Piano Service".  The first
half hour of the session was  questions and answers, and following lunch,
Gary used an overhead projector to illustrate the Guidelines.  I think it
was very well organized and the information was worth a day off work and a
300 mile round trip.

I haven't received the information in the mail yet, but there is a packet
of written information along with a Excel computer program on disk.  The
same information  is being presented to various colleges and universities
as well.  You input the number of pianos you have of each type (Concert,
Teaching, Classroom, and Practice pianos), how much they are used, and the
program will calculate how many technicians are needed to take care of that
number of pianos.

Of course, the program is specifically designed for Steinway pianos, but
should apply for other brands of pianos as well.  If you have a chance to
hear the presentation of the new Steinway "Guidelines for Institutional
Piano Service", I would encourage you to go.

Sincerely,
David A. Vanderhoofven