Key height and key dip

Dave Swartz, RPT dms2000@majesticpiano.com
Fri Nov 20 23:54 MST 1998

>    The limit is where the sharp ends up above the whites when it is on the
>punching.  If you start with too high a keyheight, with an action that
needs
>little keydip,  you will needlessly make a lot of work for the pianist and
the
>sharps will be uncomfortably tall.
>    If you start too low, and the action needs a lot of keydip,  you will
be
>burying them, a condition that few people like.  The optimum height of the
>sharps is to a degree, dependant on both the action ratios and the
customers
>preferences.
>Regards,
>Ed Foote

To add to Ed's comment:  This is why I feel sample notes are necessary (5 or
so, regulating backwards, starting with the sharp height & dip, then the
white height & dip (in relation to case parts as well as..more
importantly...jack placement at key bottom).  This approach will prevent the
ultimate "OOPS" factor, leveling all the keys, putting the stack back on
finding out way too late the sharps bury to China!

Dave Swartz
Northwestern College
Roseville, MN
dms2000@majesticpiano.com