CAUT in KC

Rolf von Walthausen & Nancy Larson pianos@traverse.net
Tue Nov 24 20:00 MST 1998

Greetings CAUT members and friends:
I am a lurker on this list but would like to comment on what Jeff Tanner
<jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu> posted Tue, 24 Nov 1998:

>MY CAREER AS A PIANO TECHNICIAN BEGAN WITH ONE OF THESE CLASSES!
>
>I would be more than interested in how other technicians would approach
>such a class which is so limited in time (not to mention how to do it
>between maintaining 130 pianos).  I think the administration is interested
>in offering a similar class again (it hasn't been offered almost since I
>took it) but I feel like the PTG should assemble some sort of "PTG
>Approved" course (or at least guidelines) before I am willing to offer it.
>Besides, I don't have the time to sit down and organize a course by myself.
>In our part of the US, there are very few educational opportunities which
>can guide an interested person in the right direction.
>
>I don't think such a class could ever be designed to train someone to go
>out and start a business.  There's just not enough time.  But, as in my
>case, it could teach certain basics and for those who choose to pursue it
>further, it could get them off on the right foot.

One of the important issues facing PTG (and our profession) is where the
next generation of piano technicians is going to come from.  Some think PTG
should take the lead in developing and implementing a formal curriculum
geared towards training members to pass the RPT exams.  Others point out
that the materials for this already exist (PACE manuals, Exam Source Books,
the newer vertical regulation and upcoming in-home repairs curricula, and
Journal reprint books) and should be viewed as an aid for students and
their mentors/teachers to be adapted to different situations, personalities
and teaching styles.

I think it would be great for PTG (and good for the industry) if we took
the lead in incorporating these materials into a more formal curriculum at
some point, but in the meantime what we CAN do is support in every way
possible the development of courses such as the one Jeff mentions.  These
"intro" courses not only educate pianists, teachers and others about their
instrument but become the feeders for interested students (already with
music backgrounds!) to pursue careers in piano technology.  The second, and
even more interesting, concept then is to develop either a formal degree
program or informal "apprenticeship" program for these interested students.
There are models for these at various institutions around the country, most
of which are tremendously successful in yielding competently trained
technicians who are ready to step into entry-level positions with dealers,
manufacturers and educational institutions.   I am currently in the process
of researching the types of institutional training programs available, with
the goal of developing a training curriculum that could be adapted to any
number of various college and university settings.  I then envision
offering on-site evaluations of current institutional maintenance programs
to see how the program might be reorganized or adapted to accommodate a
piano technology training program, writing an outline report of
justification to be submitted the administration, and following-up with a
residency of some sort to help get the program started.  Organized and run
in the right way, programs like this can be a win-win situation for
everyone.

I think that opportunities abound along these lines for CAUT members to
pursue, and am encouraged to see the level interest among members in
starting or continuing to offer some type of piano technology program at
their institution.  Our future depends on it!

thanks for listening,
Rolf von Walthausen, CERVP,
"retired" 15-year veteran of the trenches, now self-employed and living in
the great white north....:)

NEW ADDRESS (pianos@traverse.net)