Caut in KC:Pianotechnology in Colleges

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Wed Nov 25 13:38 MST 1998

Rolf von Walthausen wrote:

Perhaps I should clarify the point I was trying to make in my last post.
What I see is that #1 stands on its own as a viable course that can be
offered anywhere at any time without getting into the "training" issue.

I agree.

#1 could also be taught by the prof who specializes in this area
(harpsichords, clavichords, pianofortes, piano, sometimes organ, etc.).  I
bet most schools which have a piano tech also have one of these profs.
Most of these guys (that I've met) can tune and repair their own
instruments and have some knowledge of piano technology.  No need to waste
the tech's time for this.  They could probably do as good a job with it and
it wouldn't be left up to the tech to learn a lot of accompanying music
history.  As a former music major, I really don't see the relevance of
teaching a whole course on the history of the piano and how it works.  If
it were relevant, wouldn't it already be a required course?  For the most
part, most players will likely not get into the historical instruments.

My main point was that if some schools were going to offer a course in
introductory piano technology, that it would be good for the PTG to be
involved in some way in establishing some criteria or guidelines.

Just last night on the news they talked about the fact that our educational
system was turning out graduates, less than half of which were prepared for
the jobs they had studied for.  It was referring to computer science, but
the analogy fits.  At a recent discussion of the Atlanta chapter (prior to
convention), we were discussing the issue of revamping the categories of
PTG members.  Most seemed to agree that adding categories BELOW RPT was
going in the wrong direction.  It was mentioned that in Germany there are
designations for the finest of the craft, and that RPT would fit somewhere
near the bottom.  (Not my quote, don't remember who's it was, either).  I
think we Americans are getting too complacent with mediocrity, and too
apathetic to improve.

Rolf also wrote:
We don't have an obligation to create an easy path for people to learn how
to be piano technicians, nor provide the necessary training.  But I do feel
we should at least think about the issue of how to create a clear path to
getting there, and a clear idea of the costs involved.  It just seems to me
that CAUT's are in the perfect position to help define, develop and
implement such if so desired.

I agree, again.  If the PTG considers itself to be involved with the
ongoing education of its members, doesn't this seem to be the least we
could do?  help define a place to start?

That's enough from me.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician