Factory loan/sale programs.

DefTuner@aol.com DefTuner@aol.com
Fri Nov 27 11:00 MST 1998

> Greetings,
>      It would be useful to hear from the techs whose schools are using the
>  factory loan/sale programs.  It is looking like that is going to be on the
>  table  for some of us, and I for one, would like to hear the pros and cons
>  from a pro.
>  Regards,
>  Ed Foote

Ed,

I was recently asked for my comments by the my music department faculty about
the piano situation in general in the department.  Since they were invoved in
a loan program from a local dealer, I felt compelled to comment:

"......While the idea of having a brand new piano at your disposal each
academic year may
sound like a terrific idea, it does, however, have some drawbacks.  These
pianos usually
arrive right out of the box without the initial prepping all new pianos
require.  Pitch is
often dramatically off from A440, requiring several tunings to stabilize.
Mechanical
adjustments are needed as well.  It is then necessary to tune these new pianos
more
frequently because new pianos take several years to settle due to string
stretch and the
wood moisture content stabilization process.  Most manufacturers advise four
tunings the
first year to accomplish this.  Presently, I am tuning them only twice a year
or as
requested.

I don't know what the actual motivation for this program is.  Is it
financially
advantageous to the department in some way?  I'm sure it is for the provider
of these
pianos, as it allows a reason for having a private piano sale on campus to
sell these lightly
used pianos.  But is it good for the students, faculty or the music in the
long run?  I think
not."

I really had a hard time finding the pros.  I suppose if a music dept. had
really wretched pianos to start with and no funds to repair or purchase new
ones, then maybe it would make sense.

David Denison, RPT
Long Island, NY