private liability

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Thu Oct 1 20:54 MDT 1998

Dear Greg -

Probably the Cal State system is as bureaucratic as State University of New
York where I worked.  At SUNY, the biggest problem would have been the keeping
of state inventoried equipment in a private home.

How about sending the piano out for repairs, say to your place?  Just be sure
to CYA with appropriate paper work.

(We had a bit of snow today in Montpelier.  Here's hoping you did not!)

      -     Tom McNeil     -
Vermont Piano Restorations

Original message dated 98-10-01 17:27:31 EDT:

<< I'm curious to know if anyone out there has dealt with this, and if so,
 what (if any) solution was found.
 Have a fine old vintage Steinway B with a very tired soundboard
 (but quite solid in other structures)  that is losing its place to a
 donated instrument of equal caliber and a nice fresh sound.  With
 literally no piano replacement budget, I consider this instrument
 irreplaceable, needing only the soundboard work to be up to speed.
 Being incredibly squeezed for room, there is no place in the Dept. or on
 campus to store it -- set up or otherwise.
 My contention is that the University should retain ownership, but find a
 piano baby sitter (faculty hands are already waving eagerly in the
 air).  The Chair is against this -- feels it is inappropriate due to
 liability issues, and doesn't agree with me that the value of the
 instrument given our circumstances outweighs such a concern.  Arguments
 about how even soundboard work is  peanuts compared to complete
 replacement of a piano of this caliber are meeting deaf ears.

 Is there a solution that would let us keep the piano and satisfy
 liability issues that's being overlooked?  (I'm sure the faculty in
 question would be willing to show evidence of putting the instrument on
 their homeowners insurance, or whatever was appropriate.)

 Thanks.

 Greg Granoff  RPT
 Humboldt State University