Sostenuto Puzzler

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sat Jan 23 22:31 MST 1999

I'm not usually one for puzzlers, but I think this one is interesting;
I'll post later why I think so.

This week I was getting a Steinway D ready for a concert that was
tonight. I put a fairly complete regulation on the action. I found that
the sostenuto was working poorly and regulated it, but the pianist
complained of a cracking sound upon release. This is a first-rate pianist
and I knew that the complaint was likely to be valid. Here is what I
found:

Hold some notes down, engage the sostenuto, play other notes and engage
the damper pedal, release the sostenuto pedal. At this point the monkey
does not descend, but stays up. When the damper pedal is released, the
monkey comes down with the "crack" that the pianist complained about. (I
noticed that when the damper pedal is keeping the sostenuto engaged, one
can engage the una corde with no effect on the sostenuto; the monkey
stays up.)

How can this be? How can the damper pedal keep the sostenuto monkey and
blade in the engaged position?

Kent Swafford