Fallboard lock position

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue Jul 6 01:50 MDT 1999

Hello CAUT persons,

I've been asked to install a [Jaras-style] fallboard lock on the new S&S
'D' at the local university. However, the question of lock position
suddenly seems important for a concert instrument.

It occurs to me that the lock should be positioned towards the bass end of
the keyboard. In the traditional concert positioning, this would:

- cause the remaining, attached lock portion to be invisible from the audience;
- be out of harm's way (clothes and knees) to the peformer, especially when
standing up to address the audience and/or taking bows.

Am I thinking clearly on this? What about the down-side? Could non-centered
lock placement cause additional ease of entry or more trauma to the
fallboard/case in the event of (any) vandalism?

TIA for for consensus or additional thoughts. Thanks!

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.