Fallboard lock position

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Tue Jul 6 06:27 MDT 1999

Jim:

When we had locks on our "Ds" they were on the bass end.  Twice people broke
into the instruments.  Both times they bent the bracket pulling the screws
out from the keybed.  What harm was done was no better or worse than it
would have been if the lock were placed in a different location.  I still
think the bass end is the best place.

dave

_______________________________
David M. Porritt, RPT
mailto:dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
_______________________________

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-caut@ptg.org [mailto:owner-caut@ptg.org]On Behalf Of harvey
Sent: Monday, July 05, 1999 4:02 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Fallboard lock position

Hello CAUT persons,

I've been asked to install a [Jaras-style] fallboard lock on the new S&S
'D' at the local university. However, the question of lock position
suddenly seems important for a concert instrument.

It occurs to me that the lock should be positioned towards the bass end of
the keyboard. In the traditional concert positioning, this would:

- cause the remaining, attached lock portion to be invisible from the
audience;
- be out of harm's way (clothes and knees) to the peformer, especially when
standing up to address the audience and/or taking bows.

Am I thinking clearly on this? What about the down-side? Could non-centered
lock placement cause additional ease of entry or more trauma to the
fallboard/case in the event of (any) vandalism?

TIA for for consensus or additional thoughts. Thanks!

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.