7/8 Keyboard

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu Jul 29 08:42 MDT 1999

  Vince writes:

>I thought "normal" size for a keyboard was  48".

Prang!  Yes,  I got my numbers wrong,  David had four sizes there, and I
remember hearing 48 and that our reduced scale was the least alteration.  I
think Julia had a 44 maybe.  I know there was a 38 incher there,  and the
only person I saw really walking the keys was this guy who said, "hey, this
is about like my accordian!"
    I think these smaller boards are going to be an accepted component of
piano buying decisions in the near future.  Custom interfaces for the hands
of artists?  You bet.  That procedure applies to fingerboards on other
instruments.   I know there will be a high-end market for luxury, and I hope
for an economical line for the  more numerous pianos in the general market.

>BTW Ed's temperament
>class was
>so persuasive, that I will again try a well temp for specialized programs
>such
>as an all Chopin one.  A very well presented class, Ed!

    Thank you for saying that.  Hearing that techs are at least snooping
around  a little more is all the reward I need for doing that class.
  Caution!!!  That "DeMorgan" tuning is an acoustic Cherry Bomb.  A beautiful
sounding thing, but only in the right place.  In the wrong place,  a real
disaster.
Thanks again.
Ed