Crumb's "Makrokosmos"

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Sat Mar 6 09:39 MST 1999

I agree whole-heartedly with Newton, who as usual says it best!

The most serious confrontation of my 30+ years in this career came with the
chair of our piano faculty over a similar issue.  In this case, we did have a
designated piano (ancient Knabe concert grand) for 'alternative performance
practices'.  The chair of the piano faculty wanted to use instead the primary
S&S 'D'  "just this once" since she was to be the pianist, and it was a
significant ensemble performance, etc.  I said, "No," and we had previously
arranged that these calls were mine to make.  I said that if she insisted on
overriding my call, I would reluctantly resign my responsibility for enforcing
the Piano Use Policy from that point forward.  (This was a responsibility she
was loathe to resume.)

In the end, the winning consideration was that her example, in either using
the 'designated piano' or the Steinway, would have far-reaching consequences.
We had about 55 piano majors at that time, and it was assumed that nearly all
of them would be in attendance for this particular performance.  To her, the
prospect of, say 10%, of them wanting to use the Steinway for alternative
performance practices was most unwelcome.

A few days after our initial very heated confrontation over this issue, we met
by chance in the mailroom.  She gave me a warm hug of apology and our
relationship was wonderfully collegial from that day until the end of my
career there.  She had been very impressed by the sincerity and tenacity of my
concern for the pianos under my care (and her use).

The well-being of the pianos in your care should be your concern, and may be
your responsibility.  Be professional and assertive on this, but try not to
loose your cool as I almost did!

       -   Tom McNeil   -
Vermont Piano Restorations