S & S capo

Rolf von Walthausen & Nancy Larson pianos@traverse.net
Sun Mar 7 08:14 MST 1999

on Sat, 6 Mar 1999 21:38:45 -0600 Richard Moody <remoody@easnet.net> wrote:

>Sometimes the "sizzling" noises can be gotten rid of by tape, duct or
>scotch placed on the wire as it crosses the duplex bar.This works if the
>sound can be gotten rid of by light finger pressure on the offending
>segment. I found that felt inbetween the strings resulted in to much tonal
>loss as Fred observed. Its uneasy to think of the effects of the tape
>residues there, but it worked, and for long periods of time there were no
>sizzles without the tape.

I think it may have been the residue of the tape that actually minimized or
eliminated the 'sizzle' in this case.  I have seen how a single drop of
glue on the string in the front duplex segment will cut the offending noise
of a particlarly pronounced sizzle without causing a loss of partials
necessary for projection.

Rolf von Walthausen