: Light & Lovely Voicing (by Revlon)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon Mar 8 04:06 MST 1999

>From the list I know the solution of shellac and alcohol(?) has been
>used to harden the hammer but I have no experience to use it.
>Will anyone tell me a little more about the solution?

     Long ago, on an upright, I mixed a thin shellac solution, and soaked the
lower shoulder of the hammers.  I believe I added two tablespoons of shellac
to a pint of alcohol. I don't use shellac anymore, but have found that lacquer
or melted keytops in acetone to work as well, plus easier to use.
Regards,
Ed
(hmmm,  it DOES make me want to go listen to a shellac-voiced hammer again!)