Steinway D

Richard West rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu
Mon Mar 8 10:28 MST 1999

I'm sending a Steinway D out for rebuilding.  Is is possible to
"improve" the area on either side of the treble break.  It seems like
the unisons on either side of that break are always difficult to tune.
There are loud false beats and the scaling seems out of sync with what
is above and below those notes closest to the treble break.  Is this a
bridge problem?  Does the placement of the aliquot bridge create a
problem (it seems that the pitch of the duplex area matches a partial in
the speaking length and is loud enough to interfer with the way the
speaking length vibrates).  I know there are always scaling problems at
every break, but some pianos have more problems than others and if I can
have an idea of what might help the situation, I could discuss it with
the rebuilder and get a better final result.

Thanks

Richard West
University of Nebraska