Smoke damage

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed Mar 10 08:15 MST 1999

ROn, repost of earlier message on this topic.

List,

        As a result of extensive research and applications I desire to
clear
up some perceived notions about smoke damage and the piano.
Technically
speaking, the toxicity of smoke residue, does the most harm during the
first
18 hours from introduction.  Many considerations when evaluating such
an
instrument is vital to the correct approach of detoxification and
counteractant techniques.

        Should any of you run into a smoke damaged instrument you may
freely
go to my web site:
http://www.majesticpiano.com and go to the smoke damage assessment
form.
Print this out and take it to the piano.  Once you have all the data I
would
be more than happy to help in your attempt.  Please understand that
many of
the professional counteractants used are regulated (by government) and
many
states require you to be a licensed applicator...therefore I cannot
send
these products to you.  I would be happy to help with information as I
realize that not all pianos are worthy of a long distance trip to our
facility.  You may e-mail me privately at
dms2000@pioneerplanet.infi.net or
call my shop (612) 939-0997.

        I apologize for not yet providing an article in the Journal in
regards to this matter.  I still am not certain of the best approach
for
writing such an in depth informative piece.  It would not make sense
encourage other technicians to attempt something which could lead them
into
bigger headaches than they bargained for.  As I mentioned earlier,
there is
a proper approach for successful smoke odor removal.  I've worked very
hard
to achieve this feat.  My hope is to enlighten all who would benefit
and
prevent some of the mistakes which I personally experienced in my
quest.

Thanks

Dave Swartz, RPT
dms2000@majesticpiano.com