advice on action parts

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat Mar 20 19:33 MST 1999

Hi David,

Are you in for an adventure!

50 to 60 grams touch weight is not out of range.  What is important is
down weight AND up weight, the average of the two and half the
difference of the two.  Go for light hammers, I prefer Abels because
of their low weight and their sound, and use Renner parts, shanks and
wippens but the shanks MUST match the knuckle size and location.

A real touch problem with these actions is the key ratio which could
adversely effect touch weight as well as the performance potential and
the 'feel' of the action.

In some models the shift pedal doesn't so you will need to rely upon
the hammer lift rail for soft pedal effects.  In this case you will
need to cut the rest cushions off the wippens, INCLUDING part of the
ends of the flanges (not much but otherwise regulation will be a
problem).

Before you get started carefully bed the key frame and measure and
record key heights at four or five locations and do the same when you
get the action on the bench.  Mark the location on the bench so you
can reposition it precisely each time.  You will level the keys to
these measurements.  Do not change the bedding but use shims if
needful except to the ends of the front rail where you will need a
clamping system to hold them firmly to the bench.

This action is a real pain to remove, handle and install.  Before you
get started get 2 pieces of 2x4s cut square at each end.  A piece of
1x2 long enough to extend the length of the frame plus the two 2x4s.
Get or make some slats 1/8" by 4" cut the length of each section.
Assemble this so that the 2x4s rest against the action frame, the 1x2
spans the frame and is nailed to the 2x4s and the slats are secured to
the 1x3 to the exact height of the strings at each section end.  Raise
each hammer to the slats and mark the left string of each unison.  You
now have a regulation rack custom fitted for that action and a string
scale for each note.  When you are finished assembling the action you
can space, burn and travel the hammers and shanks precisely and can
regulate the action to fit the piano.  All you will have to do at the
piano is double check your dip and let-off, time the dampers (a real
bitch on these pianos), tune and voice.

If you are replacing key frame felts take careful measurements of
height and dip for each rail to exactly replicate what is there now.

You must take extra care, caution and time to do this action as
perfectly as possible and have it STABLE before returning it to the
piano, so regulate, regulate, regulate and regulate some more.  In
between each regulation beat the hell out of the action again and
again and again.  When you finally install this action you don't want
to remove it again, ever, so careful planning and careful execution
are required.

Lots of luck.

		Newton