Drifting Unisons

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue Nov 9 10:44 MST 1999

Jon Page wrote:

I always thought it
> was one of those mysteries of nature.
>
> Still do,
>
> Jon Page

	I agree with you, though I am cursed with a mind that wants to puzzle
out at least some mechanical conceptualization so I don't have to rely
on "gremlins" (though there are certainly times when gremlins seem the
best explanation). I'm glad that several others have verified what I
have claimed to be a "tendency" or "consistent pattern," because there
are so many exceptions, I sometimes wonder if what I was so sure of
yesterday (when all the pianos I tuned fit into a pattern) was merely an
illusion (today there doesn't seem to be any pattern at all). Obviously
there are many many factors involved, each causing a result, some in
conflict with each other. I think this is a very dynamic activity, and
it seems that the clear patterns emerge when there has been a large and
consistent movement of humidity in one direction or other. When humidity
has been unsettled, or has generally gone one way, but is now in the
process of moving in another, all bets are off - haywire, patternless,
is the best way to describe the results.
	There is a practical side to all this observation and trying to find
patterns. Beyond being able to predict what you may find, and being able
to communicate the possibilities to performers and piano owners, it is
helpful to be aware of the unison phenomenon when doing major pitch
changes using an ETD. In fact, this is where I started noticing
patterns. I tune, generally speaking, with one mute, left to right. (By
the way, I have reversed this several times to see if it made a
difference in how unisons behaved. It did not, in my experience). When
reading a pitch to let my SAT calculate pitch overshoot, I first measure
the left string, then move the wedge and see if the right string is
close to that pitch. If it is far different, I measure it, and use a
value about half way between as the input. Results in much closer pitch
change results after one pass.

Regards,
Fred S. Sturm, RPT
University of New mexico